Saturday, February 13, 2010

Clean Snow From Spouting/Gutters

We had three really heavy snows this year (not normal for our area). After the first heavy snow, I heard dripping in the kitchen. I looked around and saw water slowly dripping from the heating vent. After looking around a bit online, I figured the front spouting must be clogged with snow/ice. Sure enough, it was solid ice in the spouting. I used a small trowel to chip away and remove the ice, then poured just a little table salt where the gutter meets the downspout (since I couldn't get in there to remove the ice). A few seconds later, I heard ice fall down and water start running as it should.

If you're going to get a heavy snow, get out there during (not after) and start getting the snow/ice out of the downspouts and gutters. Water will find a place to go (like backing up under the shingles and into your house). You can avoid the mess that I dealt with.

No comments:

Post a Comment